DIY plumbing

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Eugene Loock says:

    Advice requested. I live in a Sectional Title estate. The developers installed another apartments geyser in my ceiling. Therefore I have 2 geysers in my ceiling, theirs and mine. The geyser to the other apartment burst last month, resulting in damage to my ceilings. The body corporate insurance now wants me to pay the excess for the ceiling replacement. I disagree as the source of the damage is connected illegally in my ceiling.
    In my humble opinion the owners of the other apartment should pay the excess, even though we all understand it burst due to no fault of theirs, and the geyser should be installed in the ceiling or externally to the unit that it supplies. I cannot have 10 geysers for example installed in my ceiling, and then I be held liable for the excess each time one of them bursts.
    Advice anyone?

  2. Mphonyana says:

    Hi would you kindly advice, my back opposite have a pool, so they installed a pipe into my yard that takes out water from their pool to my yard, that cause water inside my yard, i cant even use my gate because water is always there.

  3. Mahlatse Tau says:

    I am a single mother of 3 living in the rural area in limpopo. i honestly do not have the money to pay a plumber but i still need to install plumbing in my home as using buckets for waste water and water supply is hard for my children. what are legal implications of doing the entire system myself?

  4. Sorry the pipes have concrete in them which causes terrible blockage.Who is responsible for fixing this?

  5. Hi there
    I live in a complex with semi-detached homes and the our plumbing pipes are have concrete in them for quite a few homes. This is from when the complex was built. I’d like to know who is responsible for fixing this? Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

  6. Hi There.

    I have worked as a plumber for a registered plumbing company for 2 years. I have completed courses on plumbing through AITF (international training facility) receiving a certificate with a silver seal.

    My questions is if I were like to service my own customers and start my own handyman services, may I assist with doing DIY plumbing? Even though I am not yet qualified?

    Thank you

  7. Hi, I live in a home that was built in 1964. We have just has our first water leak so I got a plumber out to cut out and replace the damaged section.

    The old pipes are of the galvanized type. I wish to replace all the external pipes to the house with Polycop pipes.

    Is that acceptable?… and may those pipes be installed above ground, mounted to walls instead of been buried below ground?

  8. Linda Gunter says:

    Hi Penny
    We are building a new home. Can we do our own plumbing and have it inspected and signed off by a qualified plumber? We are also registered with the NHBRC. Thank you

  9. Good day,

    I just want to find out how does a person go about moving a kitchen/bathroom gully? The kitchen will still remain in the same place, but an additional room will be built alongside the kitchen. I know the gully may not be inside a building, will a plumber be able to assist in this regard? Must an application to move the gully be handed in at the local municipality? We will also be placing extraction fans in the bathroom and kitchen to help with the ventilation.

    Thank you in advance


  10. A question to solve what the regulations really are. I am getting contradicting info from the plumber & the municipality & then the regulations say it must be authorised.
    My toilet pipe comes out of a wall 10cm above ground onto a patio & from there has an ‘ artificial ventilation shuut going up above the roof (drainage goes underground) There is a window & an air duct in the bathroom. Do I really have to have the vent there? Do I need it at all? Municipality says must be there, plumber says dont need it, regulations say artif, vent needs permission. What now? House was built in 1990

  11. Hi John, Polycop is only for cold water, but they do now make one for hot water ask at your plumbing supplier.

  12. I really don’t know. Perhaps someone at IOPSA can advise.

  13. For how long is a qualified plumber’s work usually guaranteed for a brand new home?

  14. John Hall says:

    Can Polycop pipe be used for hot and cold water supply in a house.

  15. A solar geyser (water heater) is one of the options. In terms of hot water supply Requirements for water installations in buildings shall be in accordance with SANS 10252-1 (that governs installation) and SANS 10254 (2012) that governs geysers – “This standard applies to all water heaters that fall within the scope of SANS 151, including the storage tanks of solar water heaters that fall within the scope of SANS 1307, and the storage tanks for heat pump systems.” It details all the allowable options. But you’d be best off with a solar geyser.

  16. I would just like to know if a solar geyser is a must have if u building a new house like a plot and plan. And what if I don’t have money for a solar geyser

  17. All plumbing must be done by a qualified and registered plumber who will sign off the work. You could do some of the work yourself, but only if a plumber oversees and approves what you do. I am not in position to advise on pressure testing.

  18. Hi guys just want to get some clarity on Plumbing that you can actually do yourself legally.

    I am busy extending my house building myself.(moving the kitchen & adding new bathroom and bedroom.) do i need to get an approved plumber to do the new water pipes to the new relevant rooms or can I do this myself as I have experience in this.

    Adding to this i am also relocating my gulley to the other side of the house, as i understand only complete new systems have to be pressure tested that connects to your main line. I will only add a joint to my existing line that is still in my yard. Must this new section be pressure tested?

  19. All plumbing work should be done by a qualified, registered plumber. You might be able to do some of the work yourself, but you will have to have it overseen by a qualified, registered plumber who would ultimately sign off the work and take responsibility for it. This would obviously reduce the cost. The same applies to electrics. The fact that the house will be timber frame makes no difference.

  20. Pierre Henning says:

    Thanks for a great site with
    I plan to owner build a small house in the Western Cape in a few months time.
    If I understand it correctly, it would not be acceptable if I install the new water pipes myself (excluding the geyser and external work like the municipal connection)? It will be a timber frame construction.

  21. Pieter I suggest you find out if you are allowed to build flats on the property. There are density issues that are linked to zoning (local authority by-laws). It is not simply a matter of allowable sewer connections.

  22. Pieter Vlok says:

    Hi, I want to buy myself a erf and develop it. With it I also want to build extra flats on the erf. How many sewer connections are allowed for a 800m^2 size erf?